Seems like some academic posts are appearing again to bolster REF performance, this time in IET:
- Professor in Educational Technology (£60,217 – £84,307): We are seeking a dynamic individual with a national and international reputation in Educational Technology to support the Director in ensuring the OU is positioned at the leading edge in the following areas of research: e-assessment, mobile learning, learning/data analytics. (Learning and data analytics? Yeah, right… Btw, here’s a link to my LAK11 keynote…)
- Senior Lecturer in Educational Technology (£46,696 – £52,556): You will play an important role within IET’s Academic Team in conducting teaching, research and scholarship in support of the strategic aims of IET and the OU. You will provide leadership in learning and teaching to members of other faculties and units, and will therefore be excellent in your own teaching and understanding of the student learning experience, as well as being a skilled communicator. (I’ve been told not to bother because of my crap research record and zero academic profile/credibility;-)
- Research Fellowship in Technology Enhanced Learning x 2 (£36,862 – £44,016, Temporary for 24 months): We are seeking two independent researchers to conduct a programme of research linking the work of the Institute of Educational Technology (IET) to colleagues in the Centre for Education and Educational Technology, and the Centre for Research in Computing. The general themes of the research are ‘Educational Futures’ and ‘Pervasive, Ubiquitous and Ambient Computing’ and you would be expected to specify a two year programme of work in either area. The proposal should demonstrate how this work would be relevant to at least one of the Digital Scholarship, Next Generation Distance Learning or Learning in an Open World research programmes running in IET.
For folk engaged with the data side of the business, this post has also turned up:
- Research Data/Information Manager, Research School (£29,972 – £35,788, Temporary contract for 1 year): Could you be the person we are looking for to help support the development and delivery of research data and information? This post will play a key role in the production, development and delivery of statutory institutional returns and management information relating to the University’s Research & Enterprise activities. Duties include planning, scheduling, analysis, interpretation, communication and dissemination.
4 thoughts on “OU Jobs Round-Up – Academic Positions in Educational Technology”
I notice that none of these ask for PhDs. Am I reading them right, or am I missing something?
Quite a lot of OU academics start off without a PhD, and then take one whilst in post. If the person spec doesn’t explicitly require a PhD, then I guess that not having one wouldn’t exclude an applicant…?
Interesting that these posts are announced at the same time as official communications are tricked down from senior management about the need for substantive economies and increased income generation.
They do require PhDs if you click through for further details. For example, the research fellow description says:
1. A doctorate qualification in a relevant discipline e.g. computer science, education, educational technology, cognitive science, human-computer interaction’
and the essential requirements for the chair include
‘2. Possession of a PhD (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline.’
Comments are closed.