Warning — May Contain Traces of AI

A recent flurry of announcements by Google demonstrate how tensorflow co-processors and statistical models, rather than rule based ones, may soon be coming to a device near you. Getting on for three years ago, Google announced they had developed a Tensorflow Processing Unit, a co-processor designed to speed up the training of deep-learning models. A … Continue reading “Warning — May Contain Traces of AI”

Machine Learning: What Story Do We Want to Tell?

A new course is in planning on machine learning, intended to be a required part of a data science qualification, driven by the Maths department. Interestingly, our data management and analysis course will not be a required course on that qualification (practical issues associated with working with data are presumably not relevant). I also suspect … Continue reading “Machine Learning: What Story Do We Want to Tell?”

The Long Road From Proof of Concept / Quick Demo Through Reference Architecture to Production System

I tinker at the level of proof of concept, playful demo and half hour hack (when I try things out, it’s my intention that I should be able to make some good progress and get something running in half an hour. It may end up taking an hour, a couple of hours, half a day, … Continue reading “The Long Road From Proof of Concept / Quick Demo Through Reference Architecture to Production System”

Creating Team and Individual WordPress Blogs From Your VLE Via An LTI WordPress Plugin

Via a series of Twitter posts, of which this is the first, from @ammienoot, the self-styled “Edtech lady leader @EdinburghUni”, I learn of uoe-dlam/ed-lti, “Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) integration for creating WordPress blogs with appropriate user roles based on roles set within the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)”. The ed-lti WordPress plugin is an LTI Provider … Continue reading “Creating Team and Individual WordPress Blogs From Your VLE Via An LTI WordPress Plugin”

Accessing a Legacy Windows Application Running Under Wine On A Containerised, RDP Enabled Desktop In a Browser Via A Guacamole Server Running in a Docker Container

I finally got round to finding, and fiddling with, an Apache Guacamole container that I could actually make sense of and it seems to work, with audio, when connecting to my demo RobotLab/Wine RDP desktop. The container I tried is based on the Github repo oznu/docker-guacamole. The container is started with: Login with user name … Continue reading “Accessing a Legacy Windows Application Running Under Wine On A Containerised, RDP Enabled Desktop In a Browser Via A Guacamole Server Running in a Docker Container”

Feeding a MyBinder Container Built From One Github Repository With the Contents of Another

Long time readers should be more than well aware by now of MyBinder, the Jupyter project service that will build a Docker image from the contents of a git repository and then launch a container based on that image so you can work with a live, running, albeit temporary, instance if it. But that’s not … Continue reading “Feeding a MyBinder Container Built From One Github Repository With the Contents of Another”

Fragment – Jupyter Book Electron App

Noting an experiment by Ines Montani in creating an electron app wrapped version of the spacy course/python course creator template, I wondered how easy it would be to wrap a static Jekyll / Jupyter Book created site, such as one generated from an OU-XML feedstock, as an electron app. The reason for doing this? With … Continue reading “Fragment – Jupyter Book Electron App”

Fragment – TM351 Notebooks Jupyter Books In the VM and Via An Electron App

Another fragment because I keep trying to tidy the code so it’s ready to share and then keep getting distracted… Previously, I’ve already posted crude proof of concept demos transforming OU-XML to markdown and rendering it via Jupyter Book and wrapping a Jupyter Book in an electron app shell. I’ve managed to get a Jupyter … Continue reading “Fragment – TM351 Notebooks Jupyter Books In the VM and Via An Electron App”

Binder Base Boxes, Several Ways…

A couple of weeks ago, Chris Holdgraf published a handy tip on the Jupyter Discourse site about how to embed custom github content in a Binder link with nbgitpuller. One of the problems with (features of…) MyBinder is that if you make a change to a repo, even if it’s just a change to the … Continue reading “Binder Base Boxes, Several Ways…”